Tuesday 6 April 2010

Here lie a few reputations....

Crikey David, what were you thinking?!

If I had to name my five greatest cultural icons, the name of David Byrne would be right up there.  I pretty much grew up with Talking Heads.  I loved his work with Brian Eno, and his taking of all sorts of global influences (best exemplified by his album of South American dance music, Rei Momo).

So quite what possessed him to produce an homage* to, of all people, Imelda Marcos, she of the murderous kleptocracy which ruled The Philippines for over 20 years, I do not know.  Equally, quite why such luminaries as Fatboy Slim, Florence Welch and Tori Amos (to name but a few) got involved is a mystery as well.

In a recent interview, Byrne said that some other potential collaborators had turned him down "for ideological reasons" - I'll bet they did!

Maybe there is some deep irony which I am missing here, but for the life of me I can't see it.

Oh....and the music's pretty ordinary as well.

Think I'll skip this one, Dave, if it's all the same to you.


* Here Lies Love

No comments: