Why are we paying councillors and senior managers to.....er......pay consultants to tell them what to do?
Of course, government-by-management-consultant in local government is nothing new - it was a trend very much pioneered by New Labour, enthusiastically carried on by the Tories.
A few questions which you might put want to put to your local councillor
- How did it cost £120,000 for an outside firm to fill four posts?
- How does this represent a good use of public money?
- How did it cost £14,000 to put together a website a sixth-former could have put together?
- Was a comparison done for the cost of filling the posts using in-house HR skills?
- How much is it costing to fire the directors who are being replaced by the new ones?
- How many care assistants, social workers, youth workers, streetcleaners, teaching assistants could be employed for all the money spent?